Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Productivity is overrated...

...at least that's what I'm telling myself today, been out of bed for hours and very little done! Well okay, I've made it as far as the shops (nothing like a brand spanking new copy of The Knitter being released to get my arse out the door), and even picked up the buttermilk required for the fresh brown bread I was kinda supposed to make on, urm, Sunday, so a step in the right direction I suppose. Kinda. Shut up.

Washing was hung out on the basis of what was REALLY wet (two items) versus everything that was in the bucket (about 15 items), as by my thinking, there'd be no point in hanging out almost-dry stuff when it could possibly rain on them when I'm not paying attention (which is most of the time), and what if I didn't get to them on time? I think radiators were invented for just this reason.

So in my ultimate quest for supreme procrastination, here's another blog post! Though fear not, there are actual items to be displayed today!

First up, items that had been mentioned in previous posts... the Miss Potter Mittens I mentioned in my last post have, finally, been finished. Pretty as always, the colourway of the yarn turned out as spectacularly as I hoped it would, and crappy-ass weather here means I might actually get a wear or two out of these before the Irish 'summer' hits...


Almost finished is the Lava Flow cowl I'd procured yarn for last month. This baby is just awaiting its ends being grafted, and then I'll have pictures for you, I promise.

The nightmare that was my Crazy Zauberball Jaywalkers was finally allowed to die a dignified death (well okay, that's a slight over-exaggeration. My five-year-old neice and I had great fun tearing it to shreds. Which felt DAMN good).

Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty, pretty yarn. However, the colour repeats are FAR too long for socks, you'd never get a matching pair knitting as is, and I was needing a brainless knit. I had been aiming for stripey zig-zag socks. Instead, I'd gotten a two-coloured body which didn't really showcase the zig-zag as I'd have liked. So they had to die.

Not in vain though, as of course the yarn was re-purposed (having been frogged, then wound, then re-wound several times for fun. My niece is fascinated by the ball-winder, thinks it's the best invention EVER, especially when I do it really really fast so it looks like all the colours are blurring together. She wants one. She wants to play with yarn. I'm going to save all variegated yarn for winding when she's here, so that I can sucker her in gently, and will keep the laceweight the hell out of her way in case it scares her off/makes her cry. I has a plan).

So what does self-striping sock-yarn get turned into here in Insanity Central?


Yup. I'm nothing if not predictable. Yet another Holden, but such a pretty, easy, effective little pattern that I just can't let it go. Slight panic on this one when I ran out of yarn 13 stitches from the end of the picot bind-off, (yes, I may have done an extra pattern repeat), but I rooted around in my (rather large) sock-yarn oddments bag and found an approprately-coloured scrap that finished it off just fine. No, not perfect. But neither is it noticeable. So fine by me!

I have another FO to showcase as well, but I'm thinking that'll take a whole other post, so I'll park that for the moment. On the needles at the mo is pretty much a lot of the stuff that I had on the needles in January, with one or two additions. One or two approaching completion, so again, stay tuned, more updates to come!

2 comments:

  1. Am so going to have to do Holden ASAP, I love your ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw shucks, thanks! It's made for self-striping yarn. (Noro, Delight, Schoppel-Wolle...) :o)

    One important mod though... stop the stockinette section 4 stitches before the pattern tells you to (189 st instead of 193). In the 'scallops' section, the centre scallop on each half has an annoyig 'k1' either side of it. You're guaranteed to forget it's meant to be there at some point, so easier to leave it out entirely! :o)

    ReplyDelete