Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dairbhre

Well, finally, I did me up a pattern! Yay! (yes, I know it's simple simple SIMPLE, but it's MINE, so I don't care).

The dreamy smooshiness that was the Debbie Bliss Paloma I procured some time back has been transformed into Dairbhre, a nice smooshy cowl...



As you know, the yarn was an impulse buy that I just could not resist (one of those yarns that you pick up in the shop and just want to smoosh your face into. I didn’t though. Honest. Well, not in the shop). It is squooshy and warm and light and dreamy. It had to be a cowl, as it feels like a wearable hug. Smooshy smooshy squooshiness! 

(Yes, I know, I need new words).

The colour I chose is one of my absolute favourites, and, with the slightly-less-than-solid appearance of this particular colourway, evoked beautifully the textures and shades of a mountain pass sweeping down to the sea on a beautiful clear-blue-skied summer’s day. And hence the name.

Dairbhre (pronounced Darv-re) is the ‘as Gaeilge’ name for an island down the neck of the woods that I would consider to be home. I recently, eventually, returned home for my first visit in many years, and it felt like I’d finally gotten my soul back. The weather, to be honest, kinda sucked (turns out that February is completely the wrong time of year if you’re looking for those clear-blue-skies kind of days), but it still brought back full force my feelings for the place, its spectacular, awe-inspiring beauty, and the grace of the big-ass ocean crashing around the island (that would be the Atlantic, for those not of a geography bent).

So this pattern, to me, evokes the colours of the ocean, the textures of the moss and heather of the mountains, and the finished article the same kind of snuggle-y security you can only get when you’re truly home! :o)

There's a link to the pattern on Ravelry here, but it's not quite there yet. For the moment, the only place you can get it is in This Is Knit. Go to shop, get the yarn, get pattern for free. (They also have the above knitted sample for you to man-handle and model, and will have it for the next few months).

After a time (as yet vague and ill-defined - but hey, that helps with the anticipation, right? RIGHT?) I will be uploading the pattern onto Ravelry, available free of charge to one and all.

It's a lovely quick, easy knit, and used pretty much every last bit of the two skeins...


That's a biro for scale, some itty bitty scraps, and the FO looking WAY darker than it does in real life because that was an indoor photo. Fear not about the small leftovers. Pattern is fully adjustable to your own gauge (i.e. "knit til you run out of yarn". Heh.).

I hope you like it...
:o)

ETA: Pattern can now be downloaded free from Ravelry. You're welcome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment