Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yet more shawls...

...but oh, they're so pretty and satisfying, how's a girl supposed to stop knitting them? Especially in this weather, when you need something snuggly warm to wrap around freezing necks and shoulders?

First up I have my most recently finished article (blocked yesterday morning), Holden by Mindy Wilkes (available free on Ravelry). I knit it using Noro Kureyon Sock, which, as usual, I bought on impulse because I spotted one pretty colour in there, then spent the whole journey home convincing myself that it was really kinda ikky overall, but cast on out of spite anyway, cuz damn was I gonna get my money's worth out of it!

Again, as usual, Noro did not let me down, and the resulting colours and knit look really rather cool and groovy. I think.


The colours are fairly vivid, and a couple of pattern mods (an extra scallop, a little extra garter stitch on the edge) really got every last bit out of the yarn (10m-ish left over!).



Very happy with it, and larger than shawlette-size too, for added bonus!

The next is an altogether more delicate creation; this one is Ethereal, by Lakshmi Juneja (also available for free on Ravelry). This was knitted in my current favourite 'shawl yarn', DROPS Garnstudio 100% Alpaca.
Heaven in 4ply form, a dream to knit with, blocks and holds its shape beautifully, and while light, is incredibly warm. I cannot recommend this yarn highly enough.


As you can see, the bloody thing is huge, I could barely fit half of it on the bed, but it was knitting heaven! Plus I may have kinda lost count of the number of repeats I was supposed to do. Ah well!


The yarn colour is gorgeous, a mix of purple and turquoise, my camera skills as usual do not do it justice. Has to be seen in person to appreciate it truly!

Next up - currently working on a pair of mittens, and then I'm thinking maybe - just maybe - an actual garment. Which will probably take me the bulk of a year to complete (given my crappy-ass attention span, for one!), and all past experience points that way too (several jumpers started over last few years, as yet none completed). But I promise I'll keep you up to date. Row by painful row! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment