Monday, January 16, 2012

Progress Report #1

In all honesty, I think 'progress' may be overstating it slightly. When last we spoke, I was full of plans, with organised stash, pattern print-outs in folders, and needles for every task. So I've had an active week, right?

Well, no. Not really. For some reason, any available knitting time seems to have evaporated over the last few days, and it's really only today that I'm getting a chance to get any decent knitting done.

My first choice had been to tackle a 'stashdown', a project that would use up some yarn without me having to go buy more. A nice pair of gloves, the pattern for which I'd used several times before and am in love with. Except this time I decided to make some amendments. BAD idea!!

The finished article looked ikky, didn't fit right, so has had to be frogged. The lesson? When a pattern is already perfection, don't mess with it any further! On the plus side though, I've still technically managed to ditch some stash, as this yarn does not frog AT ALL well, and couldn't possibly be used for anything else. So I'm down about 70 metres! Yay, stashdown! Kinda :o/

Plan B is to find another actual full mitten pattern (not the fingerless kind - I loves them, but as the weather is rumoured to be heading for -8 degrees C next weekend, I really need the full-fingered kind!) and appropriate yarn from stash, and get cracking. Though I also have to finish my Purple Jaywalkers and continue with my fab and groovy charcoal tunic, which, while slow going, is coming along quite nicely-
 Yes, my photography skills are crappy, I think we've covered this before. Plus it's kinda tricky to photograph this dark a grey. But them there is bobbles! BOBBLES! I made me some bobbles! So one 'newly aquired skill' aquired, just nupps and brioche to go, and that'll be all three of my 'improvements in techniques' targets met.

So to sum up - Week One: half of one sock done. One mitten frogged. Learned to make bobbles. Starting to think I may have overstretched myself slightly with my original targets! Oh, and discovered that a whole bunch of the shawls I have earmarked for 2012 completion are to be knit in sock-weight yarn, so don't yet qualify for the 2012 Lacealong. Give it time though. Maybe around July!

As I said though, no knitting time the last few days, and for good reason - my babbiest of babby brothers turned 30 (man, I feel old, I used to change his nappies!), so there was much celebrating to be done. Happy birthday, Andrew. No, I won't have your hand-knit socks done for you this week, but at this rate, you're looking good for Christmas... :o)

4 comments:

  1. I like the grey mittens! What wool is that, the steely grey colour is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really weren't nice in reality, didn't sit right at all, there's yarn overs instead of knit front/back in that pattern for a reason! :o(

    The yarn is Sublime Lustrous Merino DK, and it's fabulous. Very metallic looking, yet beautifully soft & light, 25g ball gives similar yardage to a 50g ball of standard DK. This Is Knit stock it, and have it in other colours, too. Highly recommended! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thanks for the pattern plug and the nice remarks. Very interesting idea to close the top of the mitten. I'm guessing it was too narrow for comfort? Don't let it discourage you from modifing stuff. Modifications are good. ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I modify a LOT, as I've odd feet, long skinny hands, and even freakier long arms! You're right though, it was too narrow, and I'd made it a little too long - had it been wider, the extra length wouldn't have been a problem, but omitting the yarn overs just made them too narrow. :o(

    Your pattern is perfection, and I won't mess with it again (apart from the picot bind-off, because I keep setting fire to the picots as I light cigarettes!). But other than that, I promise! :O)

    ReplyDelete